January 19, 2012

Kamen Rider Booyah!


A quickie digital color sketch of my favorite Kamen Riders! (Double, Decade, OOO, and Kabuto!)

And now for a little more explanation:

In a previous post I explained how much I grew up loving Power rangers/Sentai, but I also wanted to get a chance to spotlight Kamen Rider! If you aren't familiar, American television tried to bring it over in the form of Masked Rider. It was pretty bad, which is why I put it out of my memory. A few years ago I got back into the franchise overseas, and they do not disappoint. If you get the chance, find Kamen Rider Decade online to watch. It's a great place to start. 

Anyways, I brought it up because recently I've been hunting down and reading Kamen Rider comics. They have some pretty amazing layouts! Here's just a few examples of some of the pages from Kamen Rider Spirits illustrated by Kenichi Muraeda. 



Both of these layouts are just insane. The first with the horizontal panels, building the pace and staging, and also building suspense. Then the vertical panel page gives an eerie sense to it! I just can't get enough of it!


Not only are the layouts great, but the action is done so well too! It's one of the few comics based off a franchise that doesn't let you down. You get the sense that the artist is a fan of the series and loves drawing these pages. I still can't get over how cool the first panel on the page above, uses strong silhouettes for the dynamic action.

I'll finish up by showing this two page sequence, which is one of the coolest ways to setup an arrival of a badass character. Hope this gets y'all as excited about the series as I am, now I just wish there were more translated!



Have a great weekend y'all! 

No comments: