November 7, 2011

Lettering Exercise and Sketchbookin'

I've been thinking more and more about handlettering. I started using an Ames lettering guide again recently and forgot how much I do actually enjoy using it. It makes the art seem more together. I've been told in the past that the first thing you'll notice on a page is bad lettering and that is totally true. If the art is rough and sketchy or loose, you don't want to have a slick comic font with it! Here are some tests and playing around at different sizes and what not!


For great examples of lettering, I would definitely refer to either Dustin Harbin or Rich Tommaso! Each of them have an incredible grasp of how to do it and do it well! Check them out at their respective sites!

Here's some sketchbook stuff too!








That's also most of the sketches from my current sketchbook that I can share with you! On to a new sketchbook! I make my own up at school, and highly recommend making them yourself! They are cheaper and you can use different types of paper. I use Hammermill 8.5" x 11" Laser Print paper, the 32 lb. kind. It's great for sketching with pens and takes a fat marker pretty well!


I just started making my own this year! That's two down since I started this summer, and hope to be able to fill another before the end of 2011. We'll see. Anyways, have a great week!

No comments: